Saturday 23 June 2018

BBS

Out early this morning for the late BBS visit to Craig-yr-Efail. Like the early visit, numbers were low, but managed to confirm breeding for about half the species seen. Star bird was a Cuckoo, acting a bit like a nest prospecting  female, but could be a bird on it's return journey to Africa.

After finishing the survey I wandered back up over the top as I recorded a single Dark Green Fritillary. With the temp now rising I saw well into double figures of the Frits,with lots of Meadow Browns and Small Heaths. To think its only about 5 years that I've been recording Dark Green Frit's at this site and they are now becoming relatively common during the flight season. A single Ringlet was new for the year.
 
Lots of Yellow Shell on the wing with Six-spot Burnet's just starting to emerge.

The most numerous flying insect were Welsh Chafers - there must of been 100's over the ridge.


The big surprise however, was the lack of Orchids. Usually during my second visit there are 100's of Common and Heath Spotted Orchids out, but all I could find was one rather feeble Southern Marsh Orchid.

4 comments:

  1. Some nice stuff Martin and any later and you will get redwing and fieldfare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheeky!. I've always done my BBS the last Sunday in April and last full weekend in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a Redwing in Kent yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a report of a Fieldfare in the UK somewhere in the last couple of weeks

    ReplyDelete