Sunday 10 January 2021

Who's eating who?

Yesterday was a day focusing mainly on PSLing, looking to get the species lists up in a couple of 1km squares centred on Mynydd Goetre-Coed. I wasn't able t add any birds to the frankly pathetic year total of 51, but did find myself some new bryophites - the moss, Bicolored Bryum, Bryum dicotomun and the Liverwort, Thick-set Earwort, Scapania compacta

I also managed to find my first spider for the year whilst looking under stones, as well as Yellow Meadow Ants. I also found my first caterpillar for the year - looks to be the caterpillar of Dingy Footman.

Whilst wandering over the top of the ridge, I noticed a couple of pellets, about 40mm long, mainly,with largish bones protruding. In one of the pellets, very near the surface was a claw. Quite large at over 10mm long. Any suggestions as to prey, or preditor?


Today is back to birding, with a visit to Nelson Bog and Parc Penallta - both an easy walk from the house, so complying with the current Covid restrictions. 

The first year tick came within minutes of arrival at Nelson Bog as a Green Woodpecker flew over. Making my way to view over the back bog I flushed a Snipe, the second year tick of the day, from a ditch. As expected the back bog held a few Teal and, eventually, a Reed Bunting. At this point I thought I heard Willow Tit, but could only find a couple of Blue Tits. Given both Blue and Great Tits can make calls similar to Willow, I assumed it was the Blue Tits as that was all I could locate. Moving on I passed the main feeding point, lots of Coal, Blue and Great Tits, but no Willow coming for seed. It's been almost 2 years since I recorded a Willow Tit at this site, and the more visits without a sighting the more likely this species has vanished from what was one of it's local strongholds. Further on, however, another Willow Tit call - this time I was certain it was and I quickly located the bird. It showed well for a couple of minutes before flying off. Great to see that at least one is still around, but worrying that it was only one bird.

On to Parc Penallta, where a second Snipe was flushed, before two Water Rail were seen dashing for cover and later a Woodcock was flushed. Making my way up to the pagoda I could hear a flock of finches feeding. Next thing, a flock of around 40 Lesser Redpoll flew past. Further on a second flock of over 60 birds, this time mainly Siskin was found, though there were a couple of Redpoll in the flock. The Lesser Redpoll taking the year list up to 59.

No comments:

Post a Comment