Tuesday 26 September 2017

weekend wanderings

After coaching on Saturday, I took myself round a patch of local woodland I've never actually visited, mainly in the hope of finding Club and Saddle fungi.

About 3 steps into the wood and there was my first, a Crested Coral Clavulina coralloides, quickly followed by a couple of Golden Spindles Clavulinopsis corniculata, a Wrinkled Club, Clavulina rugosa, and several Pointed Clubs Clavaria acuta, all in a small area. After that, zilch apart from a few small Mycea (which I didn't see). I did, however, find a small white slug. Could it be the Ghost or another Worm Slug. A check with the hand lens found no pigment in the eyes and the pneumostome was located at the very rear of the body and a short keel at the very tail. Yes, a Ghost Slug, Selenochlamys ysbryda.  - one of the very few species with a Welsh word in its official binomal.

                                              Crested Coral
                                              Ghost Slug.

After Sundays tee-hugging session (see Phil's post), it was another wander round a local wood before the rain set in. Fungi were few and far between but Twig Parachute Marasmiellus ramealis was new for me. I did pick up three fine beetles - Woodland Dor, Anoplotrupes stercorarius is a familiar species I usually fine up on the hills, but I picked up my first Common Heartshield Nebria brevicollis and a host of the False Ladybird Endomychus coccineus, another tick for me.

                                             Twig Parachute
                                               Common Heart-shield
                                                False Ladybird

Finally on Monday, I noticed an attractive moth on the pillar just outside the house on Monday evening - not quite a Death's-head Hawkmoth, but a new moff for me - Large Ranunculus Polymixis flavicincta

                                                             Large Ranunculus

2 comments:

  1. Cracking Ghost slug and i have never heard of false ladybird and nice to learn someything new and the Large Ranunculus is a smart moth and i had one one on saturday in Abercwmboi and i took some bad photes with my phone and nice you ID it cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a phone photo for my Ranunculus. I hadn't heard of the False Ladybird before either but I found 9, most on the end of an felled Oak

    ReplyDelete