Sunday 8 April 2018

Should I stay or should I go...

....to Pembrokeshire? That was the question on Friday evening and early Saturday morning. In the end I decided to stay local and headed down to Crymlyn Burrows. A great call as Hedwig didn't show...

Down Swansea way, birding was tough in the early morning drizzle with only a chiffy of note. However, almost as soon as the rain ceased, swallows started to trickle through. These were quickly followed by a singing Willow Warbler, my first of the year. At least 8 of these were out feeding in the willows, joined by several Blackcaps. Unfortunately nothing more interesting could be coaxed out.

A planned walk down the Gower today was amended as my mate John was hungover and I was knackered after getting to bed after 3 that morning. We ended up walking round Pwll-Ddu (site of last years Rock Thrush) and the Blorenge. Not a lot of birds about but some quality with a pair of Ring Ouzel, being the first birds I saw, just be where the path to the quarries leaves the road. Several Wheatear were on territory, with one bird watched both in display and in a territorial clash with a neighbour.

Over at Blorenge, Red Grouse proved relatively easy with at least 4 birds present, a couple showing reasonably well.

No comments:

Post a Comment