Wednesday 20 March 2019

Finally, something to howl about

The second last week of the BTO Calling Owl survey. I haven't recorded a Tawny Owl locally since the end of October last year, neither during my 20 mins survey time slot, or at any other time. Would tonight see the return of the Tawny's, or had they deserted me for good? I've been thinking that every week since I returned from South Africa in November.

19 mins into the survey and, wait, was that a faint hoot, or was I desperately imagining it?. No, there it goes again. Result, a male Tawny Owl hooting. With seconds to spare it made it into my survey result.

The only other sighting of note were 3, prob, 4 Rooks low over Abercynon station this morning, heading up the Cynon valley - I presume from the rookery that has become established at Cilfynydd Sewerage Works - I first noted breeding Rooks there last year.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear you got one and I been listening around by me and it be very quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also had one calling last night.

    ReplyDelete