Saturday 20 July 2019

Sandrunner - First for Wales!

A bit quiet on the birding front over the past few weeks, apart from two major dips - the Slimbridge Little Bustard and Llanelli's Collared Pratincole.

I did have a bit more excitement with other taxa, however. On 7 July, I toursed round a number of sites in Gwent. One of those was Slade Wood, looking for White Admiral and Sliver-washed Fritillary. A single, fly over, White Ad was the best I managed for those species, but in a cleared area I stopped to photograph some plants, including Lesser Centaury, when I noticed a couple of small bugs running around. They looked like Tortoise Shieldbugs, Eurygaster testudinaria, a species I had seen previously at Crymlyn Burrows. I took a couple of photo's, and looking at these I wasn't sure that they were Tortoise S'bugs.

On getting home, and downloading the Photo's, I went onto the excellent British Bugs website to try to confirm the id. A quick check, confirmed they were not Tortoise or even the rarer Scarce Tortoise (E. maura) Shieldbugs, as the head and pronotum shapes were all wrong. A bit more searching and I came to the Sandrunner Shieldbug, Sciocoris cursitans, which looked a perfect match. The only problem, the distribution was given as south-east England. A check on the NBN and Aderyn showed no Welsh records for this species, but NBN did show a cluster of records from the Bristol area.

I posted the photo's onto Facebook, various sites, and all were supportive of the identity. The record was submitted via iRecord and has just been accepted as the first for Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment