Saturday 29 February 2020

Icy gull

With the weather not as bad as forecast, I decided to head down to Aberavon to try for the 2cy Kulmein's Gull that had been hanging around for a couple of weeks. Phil wasn't available and was planning on going down for it tomorrow, so I set off alone.

Blue skies, but a stiff breeze greeted me as I pulled at at Aberavon sea front, I walkers over to the Afon river mouth. There were a number of Black-headed Gulls, some Common Gulls and Oystercatchers. An adult Med Gull flew past but there was no sign of any arctic white winger. I walked round to the old wharfs where a number of larger gulls were loafing, but again no arctic visitor.

It had been reported upstream thru the week, so I wandered up to the old bridge where a number of gulls could be seen either feeding in an outflow or loafing on the other bank. A quick scan didn't produce the Kumlein's, but a second scan saw it feeding in the outflow.
A rather poor 'record' photo, but enough to show the pale brown primary tips that differentiate this north American subspecies from the nominate Eurasian subspecies.

No comments:

Post a Comment