Monday 1 June 2020

The mothing gathers pace

Whilst most were moth trapping on Friday or Saturday night, I put my trapping off to last night and was rewarded with my best every catch - OK it's only the third catch, but it was a lot better than the previous two. A whopping 14 moths of no less than 10 species. And for the first time I didn't immediately recognise all the moths.

Some were easy and had already graced the trap previously - Poplar Hawkmoth, Buff-tip and a further 3 Heart and Dart. 2 Small Magpie were new for the trap but easy to recognise. A Lobster Moth took a couple of minutes for me to recognise as I think I've only ever seen one previously, back in 201, as did a Buff Ermine.

One on the outside of the trap had me immediately think The Coronet but looking at the guide, I doubted that and the more I looked the more I doubted that initial id. Fortunately, downloading the photo's and checking with the excellent UK Moths website brought me back to my original, initial id. The few nights I've gone out mothing with Mark Evans look to be paying off, and that I have remembered somethings.

Probably toughest was my first pug in the trap, but I think I'm OK with Grey Pug.
                                          Grey Pug, Eupithecia subfuscata (natural light)
                                          The same Grey Pug but under flash.

No beetles in the by-catch this time, but a lesser water boatman spp has been potted for a closer look later.

And a birding note to finish, as I was packing up there was a male Greenfinch singing nearby. He's been around all spring but I'm not sure if he has a mate. I hope he does as, like most places, the Greenfiches round here were badly hit by disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment