Monday 6 July 2020

All of a flutter

With social media awash with photo's of the Dark Green Fritillaries and Marbled Whites from up at the Giant's tooth, I thought I'd better take a walk up. I had been up early on Tuesday to do my BBS, on the last date possible. That was done too early for any flutterbys, but the highlight was a pair of juv Peregrines, that broke off their play to check me out.

Sunday was forecast to be dry, if windy. The wind on the top of the ridge wasn't too bad, but just off the top in the lea of the Giant's tooth it was really strong. Despite that, a couple of Fritillaries where zooming about, into and against the wind. It's amazing that something as seemingly as frail as a butterfly can not only fly into such a headwind, but actually make fairly rapid progress.

The Marbled Whites, however, decided to keep their heads down, but a single flushed was enough to get me a year tick. Higher up a single Greyling also added itself to me year list, but didn't hang around long enough for a photo.




Supporting cast included Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Heath, Small and Large Skippers. Surprisingly no Silver Y's - I haven't seen that many at all this year so far.  

Additional find up on the site was a single Bishop's-mitre Shieldbug.


 Whilst on the walk up, I disturbed a juv Grass Snake from the road side. My first snake for a while. Avian highlights was up to 21 Crossbill flying around, most in around the conifers my the A470 underpass, but several fly overs whilst on the ridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment