Monday 3 June 2013

Isle of Mull

I resisted the temptation of a weekend in Norfolk without accomodation with the boys ( sorry about mentioning that ) to spend a holiday in Scotland finishing with 3 nights on Mull.
What can I say the birding was great, the scenery spectacular also the food and digs were out of this world.
The ferry across was quiet bird wise although I did get Black Guillemot, driving from the ferry to Fionnphort we managed to see 2 Golden Eagles perched and flying around a nest site,  Hooded Crows were everywhere.
The following morning I walked down the road about 200 yards and caught the ferry over to Iona where I managed to see 3 Corncrakes ( Lifer No 1 ) two of which were feeding on someones lawn!
I heard at least 8 more calling.
Later that day I went to a place called Grasspoint were I saw a soaring White Tailed Eagle ( Lifer No 2 ). Can I count Rock Dove as a lifer? The locals seem to think they are pure, I'm just not sure.
Next day I tried a place called Pennyghael which is good for otters and divers. I managed to locate a breeding plumage Great Northern Diver, absolutely gorgeous bird. No otters unfortunately but I did find a singing breeding plumaged Brambling ( this made the Isle of Mull sightings page ).

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had a good holiday and yes the rock doves are pure and yes you can tick them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going as soon as I figure out how to get there by just using my bus pass. Glad you had a good holiday, sounds cracking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fab time Phil, Mike if your going to Mull Mr.Bell knows a few places to stay do you want him to book the accommodation for you? p.s. seen a nice second hand pram on ebay you may be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got Corncrake - sounds like it wasn't hard work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had already listened for about 90 mins to three calling in two different fields when I decided to walk further along the road when I struck gold with the two on the lawn right out in the open.

      Delete