Sunday 1 June 2014

Getting back into the groove

After the blur that was Canada, it was a case of getting back to the local patch - but not before checking out the Yellow-headed Bishops in Swansea (takes me back to the Gambia). The resplendent male was singing and displaying towards the female. While these have clearly not arrived from sub-Saharan Africa, the state of the remiges and rectrices and lack of bling, and the nomadic nature of the species, could suggest they have made it over from the feral Iberian population. Who knows?

This morning it was back to CCF to see if Spot fly's and Wood Warbs had returned. The good news, I had both - a singing (but not full on) male Wood Warb', with possibly a second (great news after a blank year last year), and a single Spot Fly' - a visit later in the day would probably allow more to be found. 2 singing Stock Doves is my highest number at this site.

Over at Parc Taf Bargoed, the highlight was 3 male Reed Buntings - again my biggest number at this site. Only 1 Reed Warbler, however, this year. Rather remarkably the female Mallard with 11 ducklings has managed to keep her brood intact and they are now almost full grown.

Mark, Mike, Mart (and anyone else), any idea's on the following Micro's (the top one was at Magor Marsh, and the second at Crymlin Burrows).



Plus the dwarf Marsh Frit, I found at Hirwaun last Tuesday


5 comments:

  1. They are both torts, the easy 2nd one appears to Bramble Shoot Moth, Epiblema uddmanniana. The 1st is one of the bird-dropping mimics; probably one of the Epiblema's but they do my head in. Several moth-er's have been found dead in the field; in one hand a field guide in the other a tube with an Epi in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you throw it over your shoulder and pretend you did not see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right Hogan, leave the difficult ones to me! It is Celypha lacunana, the pale streak running through the dark central band being a good field character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers guys. I think I prefer Martin's approach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martin. I assume you won't be submitting those moth records, so although they are common species, would you mind if I do? I just need site name, map ref, and date. The records would go onto MapMate in my database, but will be credited to you in the comments. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete