Thursday 17 May 2018

Orkneys

5 night stay in the Orkneys at Stromness on Mainland last week with one night at Fort William either side of the stay to break the drive up. Absolutely beautiful place with spectacular vistas everywhere you go.

The trip did not get off to a good start when the 3 Orcas which had been hanging around for awhile decided to disappear the day we arrived. Hooded Crow was my first year tick in Fort William, followed by Common Tern on the ferry over to South Ronaldsay. Bonxie soon followed at Scapa Bay the following day whilst dipping the Orcas flying about 10 feet over my head. A superb Long Tailed Duck in summer plumage was a real bonus also at Scapa Bay.

Next up after a tip off from Mr Bell I found an adult Glaucous Gull at Marwick Head. Even better at the next bay over the Brough of Birsay I then found a juvenile Glaucous Gull.

The next two days produced 7 Hen Harriers (4 males and 3 ringtails), 3 Twite, Arctic Tern all year ticks. Short Eared Owl and Merlin were a surprising miss although I only heard of one sighting of each in the previous two weeks. Puffin was another causing me problems but finally got two on the ferry back leaving me with 8 year ticks and also seeing plenty of real Rock Doves.

Other highlights were Red Throated and Great Northern Divers in summer plumage. Curlews and Oystercatchers in every field breeding especially enjoyed the Curlews displaying, I never realised they hovered so much.

Biggest bonus of the trip was I managed two ferry crossings without chumming. Not a huge list but plenty of birds everywhere and really nice to see some common birds on their breeding grounds.











4 comments:

  1. Some nice photos and it sounds like you had a good time and sad you did not get your humbug whale and so close shanu shamu shamu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds a good trip with decent birds all of which makes me ashamed to say I've never birded Scotland. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good trip Phil, they had Orca's off the Farnes the day before our trip 😢

    ReplyDelete