Tuesday 31 March 2020

Anti-social-distancing

For some, social distancing and self-isolation comes quire naturally, myself included. Spending a day out and about in the countryside without seeing or speaking to anyone is a picture of nirvana. Unfortunately, the current lockdown means that a full day out and about away from all and sundry is a big NONO. So its a short walk for exercise and the back yard that has to provide the relief.

Most pg may daily walks is along Tram Road Side between Quakers Yard and Abercynon - it's my daily commute to Abercynon station, so I'm well used to walking it and know the bird life reasonable well. During this period of working from home, I'm walking the route at different times of the day to see how I get on recording different species.

On the avian front, the Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps have returned, although still only in low numbers, and quite worryingly I've not heard a Blackcap at, what has been, the primary site/territory along the trail - in previous years this was always the first territory occupied.

Insect and plant life is beginning to burst into life, From today's walk in quite pleasant sunshine, at least 3 Dark-edged Bee-fly's were on the wing and my first Tree Bumble Bee.  

 I did have a nice couple of finds today with an Engailed, Ectropis bistortata (I'm ready to be corrected) resting on a tree trunk. and the first Slow Worm of the year.




No comments:

Post a Comment