Wednesday 20 May 2020

Is it Christmas?

It had to happen, particularly as I got more and more into my pan-species listing, and I fought temptation for a long time but eventually surrendered and have gone over to the dark side and now own my own moth trap. A 20w blacklight Skinner type, currently this runs of mains, but hope to convert to run with a 5w blacklight LEDs that can be powered by my charger pack, making it more portable.

Last night was my first night of running the trap in the back yard, so it was a bit like Christmas this morning. I was up first thing to switch of the trap, had breakfast and then proceeded to inspect the nights catch (and preying there was a catch).

On the bathroom window, a Cinnabar was resting. Oh, looking promising. I lifted the first flap and there, in all it's glory was a Buff-tip. Result. A common enough species, but a nice species to go down as the first species recorded in the trap. Lifting the other flap, a Poplar Hawkmoth. Again common enough, but always nice to see.

After that, not much else, 3 Heart and Dart was the remainder of the catch.

A check of the back wall, did produce a 5th species, a Peppered Moth.

The byecatch included a single Cockchafer and a single Sexton Beetle (still to determine to species).

So not a lot caught but, I'm happy for now with the results, and hopefully better nights to follow over the next few years.



 

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the trapping, my only advice is if you take a cuppa out with you try and make sure nothing lands in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Mike - no doubt there will be a few "Whats this" queries heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd ask Evans if I was you, your much more likely to get a sensible answer. Remember I'm not in the club, I'm not affiliated, I'm whats known as a "loose Mother". Take care and be lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew a loose mother once just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember, you filled my wellies with sweet wrappers.

    ReplyDelete