Sunday 6 April 2014

A Trip to the Garden Centre

Needing to stock up with potting compost, I nipped off down to Caerphilly garden centre, getting there at ten and finding they don't open until ten thirty on Sundays. I could have waited there, but decided to go to the nearby Nantgarw tip, to look for the larval mines of a micro moth (Trifulcata immundella) on Broom. As expected, there was Broom on the tip and I started searching for the mines, all thewhile listening for birds.
A Raven was calling constantly and always somewhere overhead, while there were at least three Chiff Chaffs singing, plus a distant Blackcap. As I searched on, I thought I heard a Willow Warbler in the distance, but you know how it is at this time of year, when you are hoping to find your first of the season; even Robins can sound a bit like them, with a bit of wishful thinking.
After a few more minutes, I heard it again, only much closer and there was no mistaking it this time, so I headed off in its direction, eventually getting fairly distant naked eye views (I left my bins in the house) of it as it flitted through a small hawthorn, then flew off north, never to be heard again by me.

I didn't find the moth, but on my way back to the car, I found this Green Shieldbug, still in its dark winter colours.


6 comments:

  1. Good photo and I heard a distant willow Warbler today and I look up and it was above my blood head it most have been throw it,s voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin, will you finish your post on Redwing. I'm gagging to know what it was you wanted to say about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had three redwing hanging around in Trecynon and till the 2 April and I went out the garden in the night and I could hear redwing calling over and my redwing were anwering back and that was the last time i so them. on the 3 the were 10 at tir founder field and they were heading east.On the 5 april 1 over tir founder and he was heading east as well.I cannot remeber what I was post about so I put this instead. Also the otter showed well on Saturday and i watch it for twenty mins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew!! Thanks. I can sleep easy now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear it .Did you have a crystal ball last weekend with the survey.I think if we had done the top square we would have cancel anyway.Just a bit moist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had something that predicted the weather that well, but no, I just realised that it would be a week too early. I'm now looking nervously at next weekend's weather.

    ReplyDelete