Friday 18 April 2014

More new stuff for the year

An early morning visit to Craig Cerrig Gleisdiad (forever known as CCG) resulted in hearing the Ring Ouzels, but in 2+hrs I couldn't get a sighting. A calling Cuckoo was too far away to see. Things picked up as I crossed over to the YHA wood and picked up a singing male Pied Fly and a pair of Marsh Tit before I'd gone 100m.

After that it was a wander around Cwm Cadlan, looking for Dottrel - big 0, but did get my first wheatear's of the year - how do you get to mid April without seeing a wheatear! Next up, Rhaslas. Fresh footprints round the margins, suggested Mike had been and gone. The only bird of note was a single LRP. 

Finished off this afternoon up Pont-y-Gwaith LNR where I picked up my first Green Tiger Beetle of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Gone by 10:15, very quiet with just linnet[5] foraging along track at northwest and occasional swallow through. There's been a single common sandpiper hanging around but generally quiet, but the wind/weather forecast looks interesting for Sunday. As for GGG I've had exactly the same result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to CCG for Ring Ouzel a couple of weeks ago and like you I was listening to an invisible male singing, but after an hour I saw a female and another hour later I finally spotted the singing male. It was on top of a tree I must have scanned dozens of times without seeing the bird. There's no denying, Ring Ouzel at CCG are hard work.

    ReplyDelete