Thursday 14 June 2018

Highlights from the last couple of weeks

First up was this mating pair of Eyed Hawkmoth which were the second and third for me and saved a very quiet walk to Craig -Y-Llyn.
Next up was a night moth trapping with Mark Evans and wildlife trust members at Pwll Waun Cynon or Peace Park to everybody else. Little did we know there was going to be a feast and we were the main course, the gnats were murder. It was still a cracking night and we had good numbers of Elephant Hawkmoth and three Poplar Hawkmoth.

This Gold Spot was a real treat, we also had at least two Scorched Wing Moths and in total we had 55 species and 13 were new for the Reserve so not a bad night at all. Also a nice highlight was two Whimbrel flying over and calling.

I found this Blood Vein at Abercwmboi Lake when I was doing my Webs early by a week because a friend told me that they were due that weekend.
What can I say I am never tried of these and always a buzz to find every year.


After not seeing one for years and checking the mullein plant every time I see one I was having a quick walk over Tir Founder Fields when I found a plant covered in Mullein Moth Caterpillars and what a little beauty.
Back to Craig-y-Llyn, the sun came out for about 5 minutes and I had about 8 Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary.
After years of talking about going for Black Hairsteaks Phil and myself headed up to Oxfordshire to a place called Whitecross Green Wood which is a Wildlife Trust Reserve. We panicked for a hour or so before we got there as it was cold and cloudy. But by the time we found the site and this time it was not my map reading skills this time but very badly sign posted, I had to ask two locals where it was. When we got there someone had turned the heat up to full temperature. It was very hot and we soon had the Black Hairsteaks quite low down but has the day progressed they were moving higher up in the trees. Probably ended up with over 70 in total.
Last up and back over Abercwmboi lake. I was checking if any Bee Orchids where out and I eventually found 7 which was a real surprise as last year there was none.

3 comments:

  1. I've told you before not to rely on Martin Bell and dates !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a...a...a...aa...I never said it was WeBS weekend!!!, I know that's this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know Martin someone passing the buck again .

    ReplyDelete