Sunday 3 June 2018

To Bee or not to Bee

I had been planning on heading down to the Gower today but couldn't face the thought of driving back through the traffic, so decided to stay local. The bird life on the whole was quiet. I had been thinking that it was surprising I hadn't seen a Hazel Leaf Roller Weevil yet this year, and, low and behold, one appeared.




Now if only a Bee Beetle would show up just as easily. 10 minutes later, I scanned a batch of Ox-eye Daisy's when I spied...... Yes, one of my most wanted Beetles now in the bag.
Less than 10m further and a second, quickly followed by a third, were found, and 30m further a fourth! They were bigger than I expected.

A walk round the settling beds at Parc Taf Bargoed showed plenty of Southern Marsh Orchids, but no Bee Orchids yet. Common Spotted Orchid was new for me at this site.
Also on show were plenty of Large Red and Azure Damselflies, 2 male Broad-bodied Chasers and two male Beautiful Demoselle's.

1 comment:

  1. Well Done martin i have been searching daisy all week and no joy.

    ReplyDelete