Sunday 3 June 2018

Raven Count

Apologies if you've alreardy read this on Facebook; I'm too knackered to write a different version here.

The Ravens certainly weren't in a hurry for breakfast, this morning.
I was up at 02:30, in order to get to the roost by 04:00, at the latest and was actually in position at 03:45. That was fortunate, for the first group of Ravens to fly out, left at 03:55.
The weather was ideal, with clear skies and only a light, if chilly, northerly breeze. After the usual pre count anxiety over whether I would be able to see the early leavers in the pre dawn gloom was dispelled by the sight of them clearly silhouetted against the twilit eastern sky, I settled down to enjoy the show.
Because the count can take an hour and I might be waiting for half and hour or more for them to begin flying out, I usually take a folding chair and sit in relative comfort for it. This morning, I took the chair, as usual, but as I had almost no sleep, due to moth trapping on Friday night, coupled with the very early start this morning, I found that I was soon struggling to stay awake, as I waited between groups of ravens. The only solution was to stand for it; after all, it would only be for an hour.
As things turned out, it was probably the protracted and tedious count I can remember. Usually, during each count, around half the total number of birsd will leave in one or more large groups, which are spectacular to watch, but can be a nightmare to count, if the light is poor.
No large groups today; just small ones, with 3 to 6 members and long gaps between them, so that to reach the final total of 340, it took 2 hours and 20 minutes.
I hope they don't make a habit of those long, leisurely fly outs, but at least, I had other birds to entertain me while I waited.
Not far away in front of me, a Grasshopper Warbler was reeling, unseen and further away in the same direction, a male Nightjar churred for a few minutes, prior to roosting for the day. The air was filled with the sound of birdsong, including those of Linnet, Lesser Redpoll, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Willow Warbler, Song Thrush and Reed Bunting, but king of them all, as far as I'm concerned was the Blackbird. Such a fuss in made over the undoubtedly beautiful song of the Nightingale, but to my mind, the Blackbird's song is its equal.

3 comments:

  1. Nice count of Raven and must be hell getting up that early and well done for keeping the counts up .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever birds these Ravens. They knew you were more knackered than normal, so decided to test you.... I've got at least one pair still on the nest with young yet to fledge (well they hadn't last week and I could still hear them begging this morning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if the slightly lower than expected total might be due to not all the breeders having returned to the roost with their young. It'll be interesting to see what July's total is.

      Delete