Monday 20 August 2018

Rhaslas

Arrived at the pool c10:00 hours this morning with what I thought was the usual gull flock and some canada geese, oh hum I thought, I'm here, I've got a hang over so just do it. Oh bugger its started to rain, no coat, no hat, I've got to go shopping soaking wet, its got to be Lidl's. A sanderling appeared from the west did a few laps getting higher each time and disappeared to the east, oh hum. A knot of white feathers appeared in among the gull flock, I dismissed it as moult, the rain was filling my spectacles, I was only half way around, oh hum. The knot of white feathers moved, its a bit small for black headed gull I thought, perhaps its been ill, oh jesus, I took 3 long distant shots and it was gone, swallowed by the mixed age lesser black-backed and herring gull flock, oh bugger bugger hum. Now where is my shopping list.


I knew TC would visit lunch time, I sent him a text stating; "strange small gull glimpsed through rain splashed specs" he's recently changed from apple and he can no longer receive my texts, oh hum. I finished my chores and for the first time in months I did not have a bottle with my lunch, my mother asked was I ill, I said no I had to see a man about a bird. I pulled up at Rhaslas, TC was parked in my space, he's lucky I hadn't been drinking. I spot him just off west point, I thread my way through the rush along a path known only to me and a sheep called eric. The phone rings, "I've got a Sab". I told him things would get better towards the end of the month, now where's my bottle opener.

2 comments:

  1. Great find Mike and a cracking bird and also 3 tufted ducks and a single LRP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers buddy, what we need here is an unmanned bird/bat recording device(s) [especially during passage]. There is no way TC and myself can clock everything going through. Bad weather birding has found so many more species than any of the professional surveys either for opencast or wind farm [adjacent to the east bank], its time for the professional ornithologists/bat people to wake up.

    ReplyDelete