Wednesday 31 October 2018

A little bit from last weekend

Saturday afternoon after work I needed a walk, after looking online and seen Phil had done his Willow Tit survey I thought better late than never and I went down to Tirfounder fields north to do my survey and I thought as I am here I will have a quick look over Phil's survey. It was fairly quiet and has I walked up the River Cynon I was amazed how much bramble had been flattened by the water levels from the storm the week before. It must have been not far off one big lake and would have been a great sight to see. There was plastic in almost every bush and it looked a right sight, I know the sea is having problems with plastic waste and it's happening a bit close to home and I think the valleys are turning into a dirt hole. Back to my survey and stop checking someone else's, my square had some birds and has I got to the canal I noticed this female duck with the Mallard and on looking closer I could see it was Phil's Gadwall from Peace Park and it just goes to show he does tell the truth sometimes. Has I walked along the Canal I heard a single note, I stopped dead and listened and out popped a single Willow Tit. It was feeding with a tit flock and give fairly good views for a short time before disappearing and not seen again. Job done.
When I was in work on Saturday I was talking to an old friend and he travels to Llanwrtyd Wells to work in the week along the the Penderyn road the A4059. Last week he had the Short eared Owl just over the border with Powys, also a Barn Owl in Glamorgan also a male Hen Harrier. So Sunday  morning I was up bright and early and went up all to have a look for myself. The road was fairly quiet I had a couple of Red Kites and one was level with car and was giving brilliant views and I just happened to glance in the the mirror and a white van was right on bumper, if I want to go at 25 miles hour I will especially as the road was empty. Sadly no sign of any of the birds and each time I jumped out of the car the wind was biting. So never one to give up I went up Cwm Cadlan and tried there, has I got to the top farm there was birds everywhere. I got my first Fieldfare of the autumn, there was easily three hundred Fieldfare and about two hundred Starlings also smaller numbers of Redwing. I also had a Kestrel and Common Buzzard. Has I watched the birds a car came over the top and down the hill and I thought who's this and has he passed I noticed he was walking/driving his dog for a walk. I thought I know it's cold but what a lazy git. He got to the cattle grid and turned around and went back and he did this about three times, there are some strange people in the countryside. I thought time to move and has I got to the top of the Cadlan  I would stop and give it one more go and out of nowwhere a male Hen Harrier came fairly close and was hunting low over the mountain. It's one of those birds it does not matter how many times you see there them they are cracking.

Next stop was to Site A to look for Red Grouse, a place I have not been to this year. I was lucky the sun was out to warm me up a bit for my long walk. Has I got closer I spotted a hill walker in front and I heard a short burst of Go Back Go Back and I thought things are looking up and boy was I wrong. The site was very quiet, I found some old droppings and a small mount of new poo but the heather is really low, I think with the sheep grazing and there has been a fire there the grouse had no chance. It was the first time in a long time I had failed to find any Grouse. A place I have enjoyed going over the years but I came off feeling sick and why do we need so many bloody sheep. Last thing I also went for a walk when I got home and I go my Otter tick for the year, I had a family party of three and it put the smile back on my face.



4 comments:

  1. I think you have talked yourself out of that picture I got for you. Dead jealous of the otters mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Ringtail Hen Harrier by the Ystradfellte turn off on Tuesday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That brilliant Phil and thank you for the edit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya, similar birds but different sites with exception of water pipit at Llwyn-onn spillway on Monday. On my morning out today 1 juv otter noted but its half term, people every where. I've visited Nant Garw several times but no owls, on the track to the moorland they have trimmed back the plantation side, where barn and tawny have roosted in the past, so edge may no longer be suitable as night roost. Most common bird at Nant Garw at the moment, very noisy crossbills. See you.

    ReplyDelete