Monday 8 October 2018

Owls a plenty...

I've not managed a huge amount of birding lately, but I have been undertaking the BTO Owl survey, covering two tetrads in the "point" survey and just started one sight on the calling survey. I under took surveys on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings this weekend - a total of 1hr 20 mins counting. What did I get? two females, both distant yesterday evening.

Whilst the surveys only recorded two Tawny's, I did log a total of 7 Tawny Owls between Friday morning and Sunday evening. Leaving home for work on Friday morning, the local female was calling quite close. This was followed by another female calling close to Abercynon station as I waited for my train. Just as the train pulled in, a male started hooting a bit further away. Friday evening saw the first calling survey in my home pairs territory - not a peep in the 20 minute survey time.
Saturday and up onto the ridge for the point survey overlooking Cwm Cothi. A male hooted from Treharris Park as I walked up, but nothing in the 30 minutes of the survey - the first visit saw a male hooting close behind me and a second down in the valley, along with a responding female. To be fair, it was quite windy on the ridge.
On to Sunday and up to Treharris Park for the final point survey for that tetrad, and i had a female calling in each of the three 10 minute section - both distant. Walking home, a male was hooting virtually above me as I got into Quakers Yard.

So at least 7 Tawny Owls in total over Fri-Sunday, but only two in the surveys.

I need to do some of my own surveys over the next few weeks to try to get a grip on the actual numbers, I think there could be as many as 7+ pairs fairly local to me. 

1 comment:

  1. Good work martin and I been find I all surveyed out and nice to go for walk.

    ReplyDelete