Monday 31 December 2018

Gloves off for the final day of the year

The final fling on Auld Years Day saw a stake out of the clear fell at Garwnant along the Cwm Cadlan road for the Great Grey Shrike reported a couple of days previously but not seen since. A quick look over the spillway produced a pied and a Grey Wagtail, but no Water Pipit (is it still around?) before arriving at the clear fell at just after 8:30 this morning. I walked round the edge of the clear fell area with little to show for my troubled so perched up in the top left corner, giving me clear views over most of the likely area.
 Another birder parked up not long before 10am, had a quick look and looked to be settling down for a long wait. I was just thinking of breaking open the coffee when I spied a new "white" blob appear at the edge of the clearing. A quick view in the scope confirmed it was the GGS. I looked for the other birder, but he was no where in sight, so I got the news out via the Whatsup group.
I managed to watch the Shrike for about 20-25 mins as it worked its way along the lower edge of the clearing, with the other birder re-appearing - he'd taken a walk up the road to the cattle grid.

With the Shrike firmly in the bag, it was off to a secret locality in RCT to look for the rare Willow Gloves Hypocreopsis lichenoides fungi, found by Mark Evans last winter. The drive from Garwnant over Cwn Cadlan saw more Fieldfare and Redwings than I had seen previously this winter - good to know they are around.

Making my way to Mark's secret spot (Thanks for the grid ref) I quickly found the Willow trees and it was quickly evident that they were infected with the Willow Glue Hymenochaete tabacina fungus, upon which Willow Gloves feeds.


 Despite several Willows being infected with Willow Glue, I couldn't locate the Willow Gloves, despite changing angles, looking this way and that into several Willows. After an hour of searching I decide to break for coffee and sandwich before restarting the search. Refreshed I quickly located what looked to be the remains of an old Willow Gloves fruiting body, then a second, a third.. eventually locating at least 6 of what appear to be the remains of old fruiting bodies.

 Eventually, a fresh fruiting body materialised in front of my eyes,
then a second
and then a third, all with a minute
They were much smaller than I was expecting, and I don't think any of these three are the fruiting bodies Mark had photographed earlier this month.

With the Gloves finally found I could then look for a second fungi that relies upon Willow Glue - Fringed Cup Encoelia fimbriata.  I had already suspected I'd seen this tiny fungi as I had noted in places a lot of pale lumps extruding from the twigs. A closer look with the hand lens showed these were Fringed Cups, some just emerging, some fully mature and others past their "best before" date.



A great way to end the year, and I finish with my bird year list on a paltry 219, but my Pan Species UK life list standing at 2603 species.



    

3 comments:

  1. Great you Refound it Martin and I will have a look in the morning for it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got the gloves. I might try for the shrike tomorrow, after my Raven count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff today mister Bell, cracking. I called in at 11:20 and the shrike was on the south side but as soon as I stopped the car it had disappeared. But as soon as Jeff Slocombe turned up it re-appeared, to quickly, once again disappear. I turned the car and as I drove through the bird had returned, this time on the north side being viewed by Jeff, Rosney & Wilkes (Brecknock). It looks like a stayer. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete