Sunday 23 December 2018

Quiet Sunday


I visited the lake on Friday afternoon  and there was no sign of the Great White Egret so I thought I had given it the kiss of death after I told Phil the egret could be good for a year tick for 2019. I took some seed for the swans, as I was  feeding them I counted them casually and I thought how are there 17. On counting them several times more I found there were indeed 17 and this is the highest count so far. I noticed the one with the yellow ring was back and she had a mate. I sent the details to the BTO  again and I hope this time they can find her has I would love to know where she is from.

Rewind back to Sunday morning and I was going to my daughter’s house to paint and I needed a chill out hour so I took some more food down for the swans but they were back to 15 and the one with the ring had gone again. I noticed one of the swans had got a lump on her face, at first glance she looks fine but then she turns around and you can see it, so I am beginning  to wonder if maybe there is a fish hook in there. It seems every time I go over there I am picking up fish line, these anglers are dirty sods.



This is list of what I had this morning 5 Goosander, the two drakes were fighting like hell and you would think three female would be enough to kill any Drake. 16 Little Grebe, 4 Cormorant, 25 Mallard, 36 Coot, 11 Moorhen, 15 Mute Swan, 2 Common Snipe, 1 Grey Heron and just has I was  about to  leave the Great White Egret came in. It came from up the valley and landed in the reed bed so  it could be roosting in the lower Tir Founder Fields. It's great to think it's been here for two weeks has far as we know.
This afternoon after painting I thought I will pop up Cwm Cadlan for hour and see if I can find a Jack Snipe but has I got to Hirwaun you could see the fog over the quarry so there was no point going up.  I had Munch with me and he needed a walk and was giving me stinking looks so I went up Craig Llyn instead and yes still fog. Bird wise it was dead, best birds were three Lesser Redpoll feeding along the forestry road. I walked across the dam and Munch jumped in the reservoir when I was not looking, he came straight back out, I think the water was a tad cold. The best thing I found was this Stags Horn Club Moss  which is new for me and it just shows it doesn't matter how many times you do the same walk there always new stuff to be found and thank you Mark for ID.



No comments:

Post a Comment