Thursday 27 December 2018

Jack's Back


It has taken me almost a twelve months to see Jack Snipe and I was starting to think I lost my chance.  Today I did my Willow Tit survey in Hirwaun and I thought I would give Hirwaun ponds a go as it used to be a regular spot for them. Well I got there for first light and I could not get over how over grown it was, I found it hard work getting in to the site but once in I checked the place where I have had them in the past but I kept coming up blank. I give it a couple of plays on my Ipod for Willow Tit but I had no joy. I have had them in the past in the boggy bit which was fairly deep and I almost lost my wellies a couple of times. Well just has I was thinking it may have been a bad Idea I flushed a Woodcock, they always seem to catch you off your guard and it almost give me a heart attack. Just has I was leaving I thought I would give one more patch a last go and I don’t know if anybody else noticed this but when Jack Snipe take off you can hear their wings hitting the floor and you know its a jack before you see it, their silent. I was starting to think I was the only person not going to see one in 2018 but great to get a result. I did my  Willow Tit survey but no joy again. I was surprised to see 18 Fieldfare, I don’t know if it’s me but winter thrushes seem to be in short supply, I have only seen one Redwing over Christmas. Last thing there is a good crop of berries on the Industrial  Estate and it looks good for any Waxwings that might turn up.

I also found this slime mold when I was doing the survey, I am trying to find out which one it is, it looks a bit like Dogsick Slime mold.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard their wings but that is not surprising with my hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Always remember being in Kenfig and the jack stuck saw tight It hit the bottom of my wellies has it took off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was right with dog sick slime mold.

    ReplyDelete