Sunday 2 June 2019

In the footsteps of Mr Bevan

Partly as a result of Martins sightings from Cwm Cadlan last week (see post below), I decided to spend the afternoon there yesterday (Sat 1 June). I arrived to find the parking space full - 5 cars! - I don't think it was that full for the Great Spotted Cuckoo.

Walking down, like Martin I picked up the first Marsh Frit', at least a dozen, before I reached the bridge. Lots of Common Blue on the wing along with a single Small Copper. A larger Frit flew past, but didn't settle. I presume a Dark Green up here. There were plenty of Burnet Companion, Cinnabar and Silver-ground Carpets, but just a single Meadow Long-horn moth Caucha rufimitrella.


For the first time I wandered down to the bottom end of the reserve, in the hope of Globeflower. No sign of Globeflower, but rather surprised to find Marsh Marigold and Bogbean in full flower - Most places I've seen them lately these are almost finished, but here they looked to be just starting to flower!. A few spikes of Early Marsh Orchid was in flower, though there was plenty of Heath Spotted Orchid in flower.

At this end I found a crab spider in the process of killing a Marsh Frit. It looks like the spider is Xysticus umli.



Following a tip off from one of the groups that I had met, I staked out a patch of Lousewort and within about 30 seconds the Narrow-bordered Bee Hawkmoth flew in to feed. It was bigger than I expected. Like Martin, it was too quick to photograph.

I don't think I've noticed the Quaking Grass at the reserve previously, but I had seen the Meadow Saxifrage.
In the damp patches on the paths i eventually found several Copper Peacock Beetles Elaphrus cupreus.
A group of large insects flying around a willow drew my attention. Initially thinking they were some spp of Ichneumon wasp, they turned out to be Craneflies, Ctenophora pectincornis, one of four males below, that were chasing a much darker female



1 comment:

  1. Well done Mart and Great you got the Bee Hawkmoth and yes seems to be getting very Busy.

    ReplyDelete