Sunday 8 July 2018

Hail Emperor!

As Mark has already reported I joined him yesterday night for a  mothing session at Pwll Waun Cynon, but I think my brain was already frazzled well before then.
I was due to be in Cardiff for most of yesterday, so decided to try for the Lesser Emperor that had been recorded at Cosmeston. No luck with the Lesser Emp' just a single Emperor and Four-spot Chaser to show for my visit, though the Water Voles did behave impeccably, and a Kingfisher decided to share the boardwalk by the dipping pull with me (Not that I saw as it was behind me, but another person there with a camera took a shot of it).




Over at the Cardiff Athletics stadium, a second generation Brimstone was a pleasant interlude from the coaching and officiating duties.

The plan was to do my weekly shop on the way home from the athletics meet, but somehow forgot my wallet, meaning the shopping was put off till today.

After getting in from the overnight mothing session, I grabbed a couple of hours semi-kip before returning to Cosmeston, this time with success as the male Emperor was patrolling the north shore of the west lake, along with several Emperors and Black-tailed Skimmers. At one point what looked like a female Lesser Emperor showed up. Unfortunately no photo's as the area was quickly overrun by dogs and their untrained owners.

After shopping, a local walk produced now fewer than 3 Red Admirals (my first of the year) and 2 fresh Comma's.

Its now time for an early night.

1 comment:

  1. Haven't seen a Water Vole since 1979 and even that might actually have been a Bank Vole. Although I have spent quite a lot of time in places where Water Voles live, I never seem to be lucky enough to see them.

    ReplyDelete