Sunday 8 July 2018

Last night, at Pwll Waun Cynon.




Martin Bell joined me and gave welcome assistance at various points in the moth trapping process; especially the sorting out of the catch. We ran the trap from 22:00 until 03:10, by which time our combined I.Q had reduced to only slightly above that of a concussed sheep; but being up at that early hour meant that we were treated to the breathtaking sight of Mars, blazing brightly, low over the hill above Fernhill.

We had around 77 species, including some goodies, such as Double Lobed, Double Line and Double Dart. There were also a couple of nice micros, the best of which had to be the concolorous form (lacking the white costal patch) of Ypsolopha parenthesella, which is basically has warm brown coloured wings and a white head and neck. However, this individual was generously dusted with iridescent purple-blue scales, giving it a purple-blue sheen. All the individuals I have seen of this moth over the years and not once have I ever noticed that iridescence.

The other micro of note was Hedya salicella, which is a large Tortrix moth, of which we had at least six. It is a local species and on ADERYN there are just 64 records scattered across Wales.

Thanks to Martin for his company and help - I hope your eyeballs don't feel as terrible as mine.

A Bug nymph, possibly of the genus Tingis. There are two species of
Tingis lacebugs that are found on Thistle and I am fairly sure this is one
 of them. I will have to go back there in a few weeks, to see if there are any
 adults about.

Hedya salicella

Hedya salicella

Ypsolopha parenthesella

Ypsolopha parenthesella

Ypsolopha parenthesella
Prays ruficeps

Double Lobed
Minor Shoulder-knot


Dingy Shears

Engrailed



5 comments:

  1. Some nice moths lads, never had H salicella or Minor shoulder-knot and as for P ruficeps, no chance, its not even on my out of compliance Map Mate, just fraxinella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Prays was identified by George Tordoff, from the photo I posted on Facebook. He gets them in the garden, apparently.
      It's on my MapMate.

      Delete
  2. Cheers Mark. As ever I enjoyed the evening. That Y. parenthesella looks great i your photo's. I did grab a couple of hours dozing after I go home but feeling it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some nice stuff lads and i almost come and thought if i did i would not be out this morning .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with moth trapping: it tends to wipe out any daytime excursions, though if I trap on a Friday (my preferred day) I have usually recovered enough to go out for a few hours on Sunday.

      Delete