Saturday 14 July 2018

It was clear(wing) to see

I had a bit of free time this morning before heading down to Cardiff for an athletics meet. I wasn't sure where or what to do initially but remembered I'd seen what looked like a leaf spot rust on Dogwood on the way to work yesterday, just at the Fiddlers Elbow. I took a wander down that way and several leaves do look to have what may be the fungi Elsinoe corni but these were not mature enough to allow me to try to take the id any further.

I the decided to head across the road to a small fenced off area that had been cleared a couple of years go to host the plant for the repairs to the bridge. This was starting to grow over, so offered the prospect of finding something interesting.

There were a number of Great Mullein, many heavily eaten by caterpillars, but I couldn't find any all. One plant, however hosted over 30 Hairy Shieldbugs, mainly adults but a few final instar nymphs.

There was also a large bank of Creeping Thistle, so after being introduced to the Creeping Thistle Lacebug Tingnis ampliata last week by Mark, I began a hunt to see if I could find any of my own. It took a while, but I eventually located 3, but on Spear Thistle rather than Creeping - The photo's are not great but this will be the very similar Tingis cardui. 






I turned round and saw what I thought was a Sawfly resting on some Perforate St John's-wort, so I quickly took a snap, only to notice as I focused in that it was one of my most wanted moths - a Clearwing. There in front of me was a fine Six-belted Clearwing. And no lures in sight/smell. Superb.




I continued to mooch around and eventually came across two adult T. ampliata on a heavily wilting Creeping Thistle.



2 comments:

  1. Great to see the clearwing. I haven't seen one in quite a few years. I wouldn't mind betting that my lure is still working, but I never seem to get the chance to do anything with them, during the flight period. I have a lure for Welsh Clearwing too, but again, no time to use it.
    Something about that Tingis looks different to to ampliata, so you might be right in thinking it is cardui.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was well pleased to get the Clearwing. I've submitted, via irecord, the two Tingis spp records and they have been accepted. As well as being on different Thistle spp, the shape of the pronotum is different with cardui being more kite shaped and ampliata being more heart shaped. This is really noticable on the photo's on the British Bugs website.

    ReplyDelete