Friday 14 September 2018

Give me a Brown Field Site any day

After work today I had an hour to spare so I nipped over to Abercwmboi lake for a walk. I was having a look around some of the Silver Birch for Fly Agaric when I came across this fairly large group of Round Leaved Wintergreen and it just shows it does not matter how many times you go to a site there always new stuff to be found. This is the largest group of this plant I have found and at first I thought it was Common Wintergreen but it was only when I noticed the flowers shape I realised what it was.




 Also very near the flowers was a freshly killed  jay and I think the local Sparrowhawks have been busy .
The Mute Swans are back up to nine again. The two cobs from Tirfounder fields were back on site and whey being chased around the lake by the Boss swan.
 I also found a single Blue Tailed Damselfly, sorry for bad photo but it was blowing a bit also a very smart Common Darter and you cannot beat chilling out after work.

5 comments:

  1. Good find Martin. You really should change your diet it would stop all of the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, the only thing the "green field" sites appear to provide is silage and a sizeable grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true Mike and woolly maggots and Phil you have wind fron time time and no it don,t smell of violets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only yesterday, as I was exploring part of Bryn Pica tip, was I thinking of Round-leaved Wintergreen. I thought I had once found some in the bit of the phurnacite, where the truck tipper used to be, but I can't find any record of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you found some common winter green and i thought Bryn Pica and was your on the fernhill side of the lake and in a boggy willow birch area and this area good for snipe in the winter.

    ReplyDelete