Tuesday 11 September 2018

Rhaslas

Called in this morning at 10:30, bit miffed at missing/not picking out yesterdays dunlin, but manage 3 today [can you see no 3 ?] 2/3 the way along west point. If they are dozing in among the sandstone they can be really easy to miss because they don't flush until you try to pick one up to throw at something.
The image above was taken a bit later when one of them decided to unwind. I also called in at 15:00 hours to pick up a dead bird and as I scanned, from the road west of Rhaslas, a dog walker flushed a wader, fast flight, gained height rapidly and flew west into the wind, probable greenshank. Not much else going on; tufted up to 9, teal between 3 and 7, wigeon just 1 several days ago which appears to have gone through, I keep missing most of the gulls. Hmm, I wasn't going to mention this but here goes, I had what I now consider to be an aberrant mipit through the ex rail cutting/tip on the 3rd, there are quite a few meadow pipit going through at the moment c20 - 60 noted when I visit the ex tip, but this is still the only bird I've noted with such bold almost white mantle stripes [since Lesbos], ho hum almost dropped my hip flask. The clincher for id juveniles is on the call apparently, oh bugger.


1 comment:

  1. Always great to hear your reports and i take my hat of to you for sticking at mate.

    ReplyDelete