Sunday 10 July 2016

Surprise tick

Possibly the most unusual tick I'm likely to pick up this year. I was driving up to Brecon this morning, and whilst driving past Llwyn Onn, I noticed something crawling across the road just in front of me, about half way across. From its mode of locomotion, it was clearly a newt and from the size of it - I would have said about 7-8 inches long, it had to be a Great Crested Newt.
Fortunately, I managed to avoid it and the I think it would have made it across the road as nothing was heading down the south carrageway for quite a while.
Talking to Mike afterwards, and he confirmed that GCN's are found in the ponds at the top end of Llwyn Onn. I'd like a better view of a GCN, but I think its pretty impressive/unusual to get to tick a GCN whilst driving at 50 mph.

1 comment: