Friday 30 March 2018

Early breeding successes

Took advantage of the dry morning to undertake my second BTO Heronries survey for the year. On my first visit in late Feb I could only locate 5 nests. This time round 10 confirmed nest with a further 4 possible nests were located. The 14 total is the second highest count for this site.
As ever, the varying stages on show at this time of year at the heronry is quite amazing. I had two almost fully grown young on show with adults feeding very small young on at least one nest, and on another couple of nests the adults were either on eggs or brooding very small young.
Other successful breeders in the area were Crossbills with 30+ feeding in the area, most begging youngsters. With the firsts broods now flown, at least two males were singing or displaying to females. At least one male looked to have quite a deep bill.
The Crossbills were kept company with several Goldfinch, Siskin and Lesser Redpoll (all including singing males).

3 comments:

  1. Good count martin and cracking Flock of common Crossbill and i had my first calling chiffchaff today and found my first long tailed tit nest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know the weather hasn't affected the early breeders too badly. A number of years ago, I observed Siskins foraging with Crossbills. A few of the Siskins were following the Crossbills closely and as the latter moved away from the cones they had opened, to fresh ones, the Siskins would move in and searche the ravaged cones for seed missed by the Crossbills. Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never looked that closely. Certainly I find Siskin and Lesser Redpolls with Crossbills in mixed flocks. I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks Mark

    ReplyDelete