Friday 2 March 2018

The month (year) of the Woodcock

For some reason I seem to have seen far more Woodcock in the first two months of this year than I can remember ever seeing. March, at only 2 days old added further sightings of the species.

The only bird I saw on my walk to the station yesterday morning was a single Woodcock flying round, looking for a roosting spot, just north of the Abercynon road depot.

This morning, a walk up to Pont - y- Gwaith and back produced a single fly by Woodcock, disturbed from its day roost by something unknown - It wasn't me as it flew towards the round me.

Almost home and crossing the footbridge over the Taff, a bout 200m from home, and I stopped to watch a few Redwing. I noticed something smaller so focused on it - surprisingly a meadow pipit forgaging in the wood next to the river.Watching the Pipit, it flew to a small flush, where a number of Redwing and Blackbirds were feeding. Working through those I picked up the unmistakable profile of a Woodcock. On the deck, in daylight - something that seems to have eluded me for years. A quick walk home, pick up the scope and back. Dam, it had moved. but it didn't take long to refind.






The only other bird of note from this mornings walk was a juv female Gos.

2 comments: