Tuesday 20 March 2018

Rhaslas

I've been checking local pools and roofs for white wings for the last couple of weeks but to no avail. Delayed start this morning meant I hit Rhaslas at 11:50 hours with c230 gulls present, close to the east bank and the wrong side of a cold east wind. Couldn't get a side view and first thought it was probably an Iceland but eventually got a good rear view of the bird between a lesser black back and a herring gull, it was big. Tried to get upwind to get a decent shot but they flushed. I reckon; glaucous 1st winter - 1st summer, what do you reckon. [shots are the best I could do with a wellie full of snow and no ants]. Llwyn-onn water pipit on spillway with Mitch, Cliff and one other.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think it,s a iceland gull now and first winter going in to spring .

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i share your photo mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes share, no problem. I'll try again tomorrow to get a better view. It was bigger than lesser black-backed and appeared to be similar in size to herring gull [as viewed from the rear] BUT we've had big iceland gulls in the area before. The shape of the head as viewed in flight appears to be good for glaucous but the bill could do with a bit more meat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. favouring Iceland. The relatively large eye, suggests proportionally smaller head. The bill is in proportion to the head. In Glauc' the bill tends to look out of proportion (too large/long) and the eye tends to look small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bird briefly present early this a.m. but flew as I approached west bank. I took a couple of very distant shots as I walked through the rush when it was still sat off the southeast bank, see next post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well the Gull sites so far are saying Glaucous gull and one chap thinks a small female glaucous

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love gulls, I'll be back at Rhaslas tomorrow. Once I get permission I'll check the night roost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes mike good work and it would be nice to see clear photo next to other gulls.

    ReplyDelete