Sunday 14 April 2019

Herons

I've been getting a little concerned for the Darren Heronry this year. On my first survey visit, back in Feb, I counted 6 confirmed nests and a total of 14 confirmed and possible nests. The confirmed 6 is about normal for the first visit, but the total was the highest I've logged for the site. All looking good.

Come late March and the second survey, produced only 2 active nests!. Both were tight sitting birds, so its very possible that the others were just hunkerd down out of sight - very easy at this colony in conifers.Early April vists, didn't produce any more, though that was a Wednesday evening and the light was piss poor. In these two watches (1 hr each ) no birds were noted flying in or out of the colony.

So an early morning visit was on the cards, to see if I could improve the numbers. So reasonably early - not quite in the Mark Evans Raven roost timings -  yesterday morning I was sat watching the sight. Confirmed nests were up to 5, with 5 further possible nests. One nest had young, not quite half grown, so some success, but, again no adult birds were noted flying in/out during my hour watch.

1 comment:

  1. Martin, this is of concern. The long-standing heronry at Hensol is without birds this year. My own site in the Rhondda is also low in numbers. I've only seen one adult in attendance this last week, down from the usual 6-7 nests, and no other adults in the vicinity. Normally, I see birds in flight or sitting in the trees at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete