Monday 8 April 2019

Weekend roundup

I headed down the Gower early saturday morning before coaching to tick a plant - quite a rare plant, only found in the UK around the Gower, Yellow Whitlow-grass. I had looked for it previously on my wanderings around various headlands but I understood that it was difficult to find as it was restricted to cliffs where the sheep couldn't graze the plants. Or so I thought! until a recent blog mentioned it was common on the walls of Pennard Castle. So it was to Pennard Castle I went, and Yellow Whitlow-grass was very numerous on the bare castle walls from ground level upwards.


 Quite a smart little plant, and it followed on from my first sighting of Common Whitlow-grass only a couple of weeks ago, but a species I have seen in a number of places since.

On the bird front, the only birds of note were a small group of Common Gulls with one Med Gull.

Sunday was earmarked for my second National Willow Tit survey. This didn't start well with no response from my first tetrad - a single female responded on my first visit. The wind was quite strong, so that may have played a part.

Onto my second tetrad and the wind dropping. This was more productive with two males located, both however in the Powys section to the north of Garwnant. Both responses were at locations which produced nothing the first time round. The first responding bird came straight in scolding and looking for a fight. The second was quietly singing before I played the tape. It came in, but never close, and remained singing. From the reactions I suspect the first was mated with a female, probably on the nest, with the second an unpaired bird.

Over the two visits this tetrad has returned birds at four different sites, and from the reactions of the bird I suspect 3 males and a female. Along with the 3-4+ suspected pairs in the Glamorgan section of the Garwnant forestry (extending to Merthyr itself), this area is clearly the species stronghold in south Wales.

Away from the Willow Tits, highlights included a juv Crossbill and a Red Kite making off with what looked very like a snake in it's talons.

No comments:

Post a Comment