Saturday 19 January 2013

Dare Valley Country Park

Early morning walk up the Country Park to check out the lakes for birds and see if frozen. On getting there I found all lakes free of ice and two lakes full of birds. There were 5 Little Grebes / 5 Tufted Ducks /2  Female Goosanders /40 Mallard / 37 Canada Geese with the white head one in the group. Also moorhen and coot present.  Highlights being two new birds for my valley list. These were 1 Lapwing and 1 Black Headed Gull. Also at the Graig a male Peregrine, which flew up in to the mist and went into a stoop and chased a Fieldfare across the sky and over the hill. The Peregrine clipped the Fieldfare but just missed it and it got away. I got back home to find a new bird in the garden which was a Mistle Thrush feeding on apples. I also  had a Fieldfare low over the garden. The main highlight today was at 1.30 pm when I had a flock of about 60 lapwing flying east down the valley. This is the most lapwings I have seen in the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment