Sunday 20 January 2013

Out of Hibernation

Decided to shake myself into some sort of activity and burn some calories off, so I went for a walk in the snow. I set out up the valley from Mountain Ash heading for " Pease Park " to the check the lake and river. I found the lake 80% frozen with the remaining water holding 7 Moorhen.
I then decided to carry on to the Phurnacite lake where I found 2 Drake Goosanders, 5 Cormorants, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Lesser Black Backed Gull, 2 Moorhen and 5 Coot.
On returning to Pease Park I came across a mixed feeding flock comprising of mostly Great Tits and Chaffinch, a few Coal Tits, 1 Nuthatch and the bird of the day for me, a Willow Tit.
The lake now held 18 Moorhen and on the river was a pair of Goosanders.
On arriving back in Mountain Ash I strolled down the river and came across 10 Canada Geese including Martins previously mentioned white capped one amongst the dozens of Mallard.

No comments:

Post a Comment