Saturday 16 January 2016

WeBS and bits

I got out nice and early to get my WeBS done before heading down to Swansea for coaching duties. I walked up to the top end of Taf Bargoed lakes, by the climbing centre, just as it was getting light. A Tawny Owl called before 2 def and possibly another 2, woodcock flew over.
Overall, I had the larget number of birds I've ever counted on my WeBS, with 129 individuals, comprising a record count of 45 Canada Goose, 55 Mallard, 19 Little Grebe, 5 Moorhen, 2 Mute Swan, 1 Cormorant 1 Dipper and a single Grey Heron.

Until about a year ago I'd never heard of Hair Ice. There have been a number of sightings of this, including several from Taf Fechan, recently, so I was half keeping any eye open for it. That said I wasn't really expecting to find some, but low and behold, I managed to find two patches this morning. I attach a rather poor photo, taken on my phone at about 7:30 this am, of the first I found - near the "water rail" pond at the top end of Parc Taf Bargoed.

 

After coaching I decided to head over to Kenfig to try to catch up with the redhead Smew that arrived a couple of days ago. Although reported early morning, there was no sign of the Smew this afternoon - I presume the hordes of wildlife scarers (irresponsible dog walkers) that frequent the reserve managed to flush it off - It's prob over at Nun' Egg', but since birders are banned from there we'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment