Wednesday 9 September 2015

(National) Moth Nights 2015

As some of you may be aware, this year's Moth Nights are this Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Predictably, the weather for Friday and Saturday nights is looking poor, but Thursday's promises better, so despite having to work on Friday, I intend trapping at one of my old favourite sites for a few hours on Thursday night.
The place is called Ton-ty-pel, a name which isn't on any OS map, but is the area just below the TV mast, between Cefnpennar and Cwmbach. There is no vehicular access to the site any more, so I will be parking by the bus turning area at the top of the main part of Cefnpennar (SO 0360 0135) and walking in from there.
The theme of Moth Nights, this year is migrants and with the winds promising to change to a more favourable direction, the odd migrant can't be ruled out, but my personal reason for trapping this site will be Grey Chi, which I used to get there regularly, at this time of year.

Needless to say, anyone would be welcome to turn up. I'll probably aim to get there at 20:00 and will run the trap down in the old quarry.

3 comments:

  1. Hi mark i will come for a couple hours and will meet you at the turning area at 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, once again I can't make it, working until c19:00 & then up at 06:00 to start daily chores/work. I had more free time before I retired. Good luck, I hope you pull in some decent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't realised it was going dark so earl, therefore, I have decided to get to Cefn at 19:45 instead of eight, to give me more time to get to the quarry and set up.

    As I will be getting up before five, Friday morning, as usual, I don't intend trapping beyond midnight.

    ReplyDelete